Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Coleus - I finally found the secret

Last fall I took three cuttings of Coleus Glennis hoping to have at least one take root. I really am tickled that at long last, I am successful at growing Coleus, as in previous years they have been a dismal failure. This time around, I had a very healthy plant to take cuttings from, as I found the perfect place for coleus to flourish, and that is on my front porch which gets just a little morning sun.

I am so delighted that all three took root, and have now been transplanted into this pot. As the plants grew I picked out the growing tip so they would bush out, and you can see, how lovely and full the three look.

11 comments:

Darla said...

Congrats on this accomplishment!! They look great.

Bethany said...

How wonderful! Now you can create a coleus army;)
I love taking cuttings as well, although now my husband thinks I can just take cuttings and never have to buy any plants again. Yeah right!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jennifer, Thank you so much for picking my latest posting through which I have found you.

I was so interested with what you say here about Coleus, an indoor plant with which I have struggled and now given up on. You did indeed have great success with your propagation and this has inspired me to try again.

Cyndy said...

What cute little coleus - it's so much fun to make more plants. Congratulations!

GwendolynGarden said...

Kudos to you- I have trouble with Coleus cuttings too. This year I might have actually managed to get one through the winter. Your new plants look great!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip! I have some coleus started from seed, but boy are they tiny!

Anonymous said...

And, Jennifer, you showed your amazing skill by not only rooting a coleus but by rooting one of my favorites. 'Glennis' is a beauty for sure. Congrats!

Geothermal Heat Pumps said...

Before planning a garden think about the latest Geothermal Heat Pump !

Kathleen said...

Okay, what was the trick??!! I've tried to do this too because all the new "exotic" colors are so expensive but I've never been successful either. Was it the cooler temps (on the porch)?? Congrats to you! You're going to have a beautiful container.

Anonymous said...

small triumphs are nourishment for the soul! congrats, jennifer!

Victoria Williams said...

Good for you, to keep at it. I have also been a dismal failure at coleus cuttings, and gave up. Now I just grow them from seed. It would be useful to do the cuttings, especially from the sun tolerant coleus which are difficult to find seeds for.