Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cheap room for rent - wrens only need apply

I have a collection of dollar store birdhouses decorating the front of our carport.

Last year, a little wren decided to make this one her home to raise a family. We were a little nervous that the chicks would dislodge the house from the nail it was hanging on, so we screwed in a hook on each side, then tied some string across the front of the house, thereby making it more secure..
I saw a wren investigating the house today. I wonder if we will have new renters. The rent is cheap, just keep the insect population down, and we will call it good.

10 comments:

Annie*s Granny said...

How cute! My bird houses only attract sparrows, and they reward my generosity by eating my lettuce and peas.

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

They will come and answer the gesture of generosity. Cheerful morning chirps is enough as payment for the rent, i guess. ~bangchik

Linda said...

hope the wren makes her home there again, cute row of birdhouses

Anonymous said...

Room for one more "old" bird, I wanna live there, live there!!!!

I have searched the city for a cute bird house - - for my balcony.
I should have known better and saved myself the time, but found the cutest birdhouse in good ol'Germany. Will send you a pic soon ;-) GINCO

lifeshighway said...

I hope the little wrens move in again this year. Maybe you will also get a few more renters in the other houses. Hard to beat the rent.

Unknown said...

What a lovely lace look all those houses give to the carport. Hope you have lots of new renters.

Noelle Johnson said...

I love your collection of bird houses. Maybe you will be able to rent out more of them ;-)

JGH said...

Cute collection! Isn't it interesting that the wren picked the house that looks the most "natural"?

Lemon Verbena Lady said...

Lucky you! Only yellow jackets wanted to live in my wren box! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jessie Ooi said...

that's a very beautiful birdhouse!

room for rent