Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Chocolate Soldier

I have been waiting and waiting for this Columbine to show me what it is all about, and I am not disappointed. It was quite difficult getting photos as many backgrounds I placed it against, simply did not work. These are about the best I could do with my little Kodak easy Share camera

The petal on the Nickle sized flowers are are a purplish/brown color, a hard color to capture.

The artist in me, is quite taken with the color combination and shape of the flower.

Such a dainty little thing, which has produced just a few flowers this year. With some TLC, I hope for an abundance of blooms next season for show and tell.

11 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Such a dainty little thing. Unusual coloring. Hope you have a good day.

Carrie said...

They are absolutely beautiful. Enjoy them while they are in bloom, the colouring is so unusual, I love it.

Heather said...

Lovely and delicate little blooms. Are the plants large or dainty also?

Corner Gardener Sue said...

It had me won over just by its name, and I am eating ice cream with chocolate on it as I am blogging. Perfect! It is pretty.

Ellie Mae's Cottage said...

So unusual. I look the color combo too. -Jackie

Balisha said...

That is the most unusual columbine. I love the color combination. I use the Kodak Easyshare too, so my shots aren't the best....but it will do.

Peggy said...

It is a beautiful bloom, KeeWee. It is so dainty and fragile looking. It is hard to see the colour ,I wonder if something pale pink was planted near it would it show up against it?

joey said...

I can see why you are taken with this beauty, a lover of columbine, one I have yet to meet!

Peggy said...

Hi KeeWee, back again! I have done a post today (Sat) featuring lots of ideas for the tumbling pots . I was recently at a flower and garden show and they were being sold on one of the stands. They can be used all the year round for different things.

Kathleen said...

Oh KeeWee, we have the same plant taste! First the primulas and now the chocolate soldier! I just started seed for this columbine and am very excited to see it bloom. It's as beautiful as the packet photo promised! I wish mine had a bloom on it already like yours. Enjoy! It's spectacular.

Bill Kisich said...

Such interesting coloring. I'll bet it's much more beautiful in person. can't wait to see it after it grows in a bit.