Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Sunday, August 10, 2008

PLANTED TODAY FOR FALL/ WINTER HARVEST

The garden center just received their first shipment of vegetable starts for fall/winter harvesting. As MrC and I are going to be out of town from Wednesday to Sunday, I decided I had better get the first of these vegetables into the ground, then when we return I can buy some more to plant for a second harvest.

Leeks.
For stir fry, Leek & potato soup, or in many other recipes I enjoy.

A whole heap of Spinach.
There are many ways I enjoy spinach, whether it be in a salad or incorporated in another recipe.

Broccholi
MrC's favorite.....Not!! If I served this to him I would get a look of disgust.

Bunching onions.
I will harvest some of these early, to use in salads, then the rest can mature then harvested to be stored for use during the winter months.

Winter Romaine Lettuce.

Bull's Blood Beets.
When the Golden Beets arrive at the garden center I will plant some on the other half. I enjoy beets, along with other vegetables, sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper then roasted in the oven.

1 comment:

dinzie said...

fall planting already ......But great to have all year plantings :O) My raised borders are flooded we've had so much rain.....

d