Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Sunday, August 03, 2008

OH MY ACHING BACK !

This was one of two lovely Clematis growing on the trellis in front of my vegetable garden. When we went away for four days last week, I had a sprinkler set up on a timer to water the vegetable garden. Sadly the sprinkler malfunctioned and the water did not reach the two clematis.
I have spent the last two days installing a watering system, using soaker hoses in all the raised beds.







Here is one of the beds with the installed soaker hoses winding in and around the vegetables and flowers. I like to grow flowers along with the vegetables as they attract more bees, therefore giving me more pollinated vegetable blossoms. Also the gardens look pretty.





I planted these beans about two weeks ago, and since the weather has finally warmed up, the beans have sure put on a spurt of growth.










I have bent the leaves over the cauliflower and held them in place with a clothespin. Bending the leaves over this way, helps to keep the cauliflower nice and white. I have just four plants as MrC does not care for cauliflower, and fortunately they are not all growing at the same rate, so I will not have to eat cauliflower for days on end.





According to the saying "corn should be knee high, by the 4th of July" I don't think the corn knew about this, as a few of the plants are only about 18 inches high, the rest are shorter.
I really was hoping to have some lovely sweet corn slathered in butter.
Sighhhhhh!







The first crop of peas have produced abundantly, so I have planted this row hoping to have more of the sweet sugar snap peas to enjoy.










I can't say I have a bumper crop of parsnips, but the few which have grown are doing rather well, as are the carrots which were planted at the same time. I may plant another row of parsnips tomorrow for a fall harvest.






As I said I like flowers in my vegetable garden, so in this container are a couple of sunflowers and two shades of pink gladioli.










Swiss chard, one of my favorite vegetables and has been producing enough to feed us and a little left over to give a few leaves to the rabbits who hang around outside the fence.









There are quite a few tomatoes of a fairly good size and many more blossoms. My wish is for some nice hot days so I will have many, many tomatoes.







At last there are some tiny zucchini forming.

That is about it for now, and I am very tired after installing the watering system. Finally, I can sit back watch the garden grow, pull a few weeds when needed, then harvest the vegetable as they come ready. All the hard work is going to pay off.

No comments: