Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Thursday, August 21, 2008

5 DAYS MAKES A DIFFERENCE

While we were in CA for 5 days the weather here was just what the veges needed. With nice hot sun and water on a regular basis, my vegetable garden showed a marked change. There is nothing better than returning home and checking on the vegetable and flower garden for new growth. It seems when you are home and looking every day, the growth is not so noticeable.

The first Zucchini will be ready to pick in a few more days.

I am checking the tomatoes every day for the first shade of pink, heralding ripening.

A bright corner of the garden.
I know the birds are going to enjoy the seeds during the cold winter months.

A blue Hubbard pumpkin I hope will produce a few nice fat pumpkins for us. It has started to grow through the fence, and I plan on training it up the fence so it does not take up so much room.

The day we left on vacation this bib lettuce was no where ready to harvest and I thought it would be ready when we got back. As you can see I was wrong., all it is good for now is rabbit food and the compost heap.

It looks as though we may have a few ears of corn, providing we have some more hot weather. For the last couple of days we have had rain, which is OK, but now we need to see the sun.

For tonight's dinner, a nice fresh cauliflower. How wonderful it is to have my own fresh vegetables. Also helps on the grocery bill as everything is so expensive right now.

I love fresh beans, especially this blue lake variety. They have great flavor.

The the best surprise of all.
The clematis, I thought had died, is starting to come back. I was going to pull it out and replace it but ran out of time.


3 comments:

mistaya's M.O.M. said...

KEEWEE, YOUR GARDEN LOOKS WONDERFUL AND I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO ENJOY EVERY BIT!!

dinzie said...

How great to have such a crop ... :O) It all looks great .. I must look at what flowers I can grow around my plot...Hopefully attract the bees there ... Most summers they are at the front of the garden working the dahlias ..

D

Maria Verivaki said...

what a delight - your garden is doing very very well