Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Thursday, May 04, 2006

May 4th A Splendid day

Whew! I am tired. I took advantage of the good weather and played outside for most of the day.

The soil/compost mix WM gave me is now in some of my pots and tubs. Hmmm! I have soil left over, what to do? guess I will have to buy more plants and pots to use up the extra soil.

I have made use of this old galvanized tub to contain some strawberries. As usual I have to surround everything with chicken wire to keep the rabbits from eating the plants. These strawberries were in better shape, but the rabbits got up on the deck and ate dessert before I could transplant them.

I have been told rabbits do not care for nasturtiums which are in these four containers. being rather sceptical when it comes to what rabbits will and won't eat, I am taking no chances, hence more chicken wire.
This area is going to be my summer haven. A hammock is going to be strung between the two trees in the foreground so I can relax here on warm summer days and watch the hummingbirds at their syrup feeder, the other birds at their seed feeder, read a book or take a nap.

I am experimenting growing four 'Bistro Salad blend' lettuce plants in a pot. I like the idea of picking lettuce leaves for a salad and the plants keep right on growing.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I could lose myself
in that garden, and there,s
nothing better than fresh
home grown lettuce and
tomatoes - now I,m a little
bitty homesick (but just
for my long lost garden)
I,d love to be a dragonfly
there.

Anonymous said...

The hammock sounds like heaven to me in that beautful spot you are creating!!!

Taradharma said...

you make great use of containers. I container garden as well, to avoid doggie pee, cat's digging, gophers. It works well.

Found your site via Wisteria.