Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Thursday, July 09, 2009

New shade garden

I have cleared all of the English ivy which had overtaken this side of the house, and now I am working on constructing a terraced garden.

The job is going along slowly, as it is back breaking work moving and stacking all those stones, as well as clearing the land as I move on down the incline. I haven't any plans on how I want it to look when it is finished. It is one of those projects which is just kinda' evolving as it goes along.

I had these hellebores still in pots, so sat them here to see if the rabbits would eat them, and so far they have shown no interest in nibbling on the plants.

As well as hellebores, I think ferns will also be nice, and I will also do some research on shade loving plants which are not tasty to rabbits, although in my experience, rabbits will nibble on almost any plant at least once.

I have yet to fill in the terraced garden with some well rotted manure, topsoil and compost. As this area is under two large trees and is sheltered a little from the rain, the soil I put in here is going to have to hold some moisture.

4 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Hi Jeniffer! It looks like a fun project! It'll be interesting to see if some ivy will reappear. It'd love the new good soil!

Unknown said...

Looks like work in progress. Certainly a lot of work there as you decide on the layout etc. Have fun and be rewarded :)

Chloe m said...

KeeWee,
You have been hard at work, and it is looking great so far!
I will keep checking back to see how it is coming along. Good luck!

Rosey

Unknown said...

Wow!That is some project!But it looks like fun.
I have rock-lust for your's.We don't have reocks like that in Florida.We,actually,have to buy them.