Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Friday, April 18, 2014

Spring has sprung, and so have I

I will be lucky if anyone reads my blog now, due to being away for so long. Besides not blogging all that much during the Winter months, the past few weeks I have been caring for my honey, who has had open heart surgery. I sure have missed getting my fingers into the dirt, but am making up for the loss, by planting and tending new plants and berry bushes.


Today I researched 'companion planting, and in this bed I have salad mix lettuce, celery, and behind these will be tomato plants. I will also 'companion plant' in the other raised beds.

Also today, Pac Choi was planted beneath a protective covering.

For a long time, it has been a wish of mine to grow raspberries, but I do not like the thorny, high maintenance kind. Two weeks ago, I came across this little beauty, a dwarf thornless variety of raspberry, "Raspberry Shortcake" rather expensive, but worth every penny if it produces well.

The lettuce I planted today look a little sad, but they will soon perk up.

Last fall, I purchased this white currant. There were a few berries on the plant, and when I tasted one, I was sold on the sweetness of the fruit. Currants are supposed to produce an abundance of fruit which I am hoping for, perhaps not the first year, so I will just have to exercise a little patience.

5 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Coincidentally, I am growing pak choi too....

Victoria Williams said...

Hope your hubby recovers well!
Welcome back to gardening!

Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Thank you Kim and Victoria, I am enjoying the therapy of getting my fingers in the dirt, and feeling more confidant that my hubby is doing better as the days roll by.

GRACE PETERSON said...

Hi Jennifer,

I am happy to see you're back to blogging. It's always fun to see what you're up to.

My neighbor has that raspberry variety and is very impressed. I think you will be too. I'm a little envious of your currant plant. I would love to grow them but don't have enough room now. I have two honeyberry plants though and they're doing quite well.

So sorry about your hubby's surgery. I wish him a speedy recovery. There is nothing quite like getting outside and playing in the dirt, is there? We've had such a nice spring so far. Take care.

Peggy said...

Hi, Jennifer, so sorry to hear of your husbands surgery but I'm sure all will be well with him.It is hard to stay motivated with the blogging but I am having another go at it and hopefully will make some time for it. Like yourself I am enjoying the new season gardening!