Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Jewels for your garden

If you are looking for an unusual flower to make a statement in a corner of your garden, then this is the flower for you. They come in plain colors, and also with fabulous distinctive marking on the petals.


Salpiglossis, Painted tongue, was a favorite of the Victorians who loved its rich, jewel tones in gold, red, pink, blue and many other colors and patterns, even herringbone. This annual reaches up to 3-feet tall and, makes a good cut flower



A new color this year, and there are are a couple of other which have not opened their blooms yet.

9 comments:

Lona said...

How pretty KeeWee. I did not realize that they grew so tall. I love the deep red.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer~~ I grew Sappie a few years ago and hoped it would reseed but no. Darn. They really do jazz up a border. I like that deep plum newbie.

Kim said...

Those ar amazing! I've not seen them before, but I plan to look to see if they'll grow in my Zone 7 garden.

Chloe m said...

That is striking! I would have to start that baby inside early. But it would be worth it!
Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. I've tried growing these several times and I don't know what I do wrong but they just don't like it in my garden. I think they're absolutely gorgeous. Enjoy them for me too and maybe one year, I'll give them another try!

Oh, I think I'm going to have to try one of those grow bags too. I've seen them several places and it looks like plants really like them. Your nasturtiums seem to be thriving.

Darla said...

That really is a jewel in the garden, very pretty.

Bonnie Story said...

Wow, Looks like a very fine stained glass!!

Heather said...

Very pretty, both of them. I love to read blogs for the main reason that I learn so much about things and flowers I knew nothing about. Gorgeous.

Frances said...

Hi KeeWee, those are fabulous. I have never seen them before. Love the velvety leaves. :-)
Frances