Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Monday, March 30, 2009

I did it, and it hasn't fallen down!

Keewee's Gee Whiz
The first chore I tackled today was to work on the stacked pots creation. I am so glad I came across this idea, as it was a fun project to work on. One thing I found was, that it is easier to plant the bottom pot before sliding the second on in place, as there is not a whole lot of space between the two pots. I have used Primroses with white trailing Lobelia, planted so that as it grows, it will trail over the edges of the pots, creating a waterfall effect. At least, that is the plan.
Peggy, of Organic Growing Pains has her version of Tumbling pots. Go on over and take a look.

So far I have three pouches planted with violas, succulents, and the third with petunias. The pouch which has not yet been planted , is going to be an experiment. I have the mix well watered and have pushed a couple of nasturtium seeds through each of the slits in the pouch. My reasoning is, that seeds have to push their way up through the soil to reach the light, so why not up through a slit in plastic. We will see what happens. I am going to place the plastic tray holding the pouch on top of a rack used for cooling cookies, then place it all over a heat duct in the house. (don't want to spend money on one of those fancy schmancy heat pads for plants) I told you this is an experiment. I will let you know the results.

The new shoots of the poor agapanthus are looking quite sickly. There are not many drainage holes in the bottom of the galvanized tub, so I thought perhaps it was too wet for the plant. I wanted to move it anyhow, so it now has a new home.

Here is the agapanthus replanted on the outside of the fence surrounding my vegetable plot. We have many of those long eared, hungry, wabbity wabbits, who love to nibble on everything, so I have to surround almost all my plants with chicken wire.

It took me me about 15 minutes to wrestle this fern out of the very old wooden pot it was growing in, before replanting it into the tub. I hope it is happier in there than the agapanthus seemed to be.

I bought 12 petunias, 5 went into the Gee Whiz creation, these three red and one purple in this bed and I still have 3 more to plant. perhaps tomorrow as my back is telling me "time out" and this time I am going to listen and quit gardening for today, before I hurt too much to enjoy playing outside tomorrow.


7 comments:

Cathy S. said...

That's great, I have one of those pot stands like yours but I live in the windy city of chicago where it's always windy...and it did blew down and broke my pots. ;( but yours looks great.

Lona said...

Keewee, it looks so pretty with your primroses in it. Your pouches are going to be so full of beautiful blooms. You have been a busy lady.

Phoenix C. said...

The stacked pots look fantastic! No use me trying it here though - it is too windy!

ryan said...

I like the stacked pots. Never tried it myself.

Heather said...

That looks really nice! I may have to try this idea. Your grow bags look cool too!
-Heather

Anne said...

How fun! I love the whimsy it adds to the garden.

Bonnie Story said...

Wow! And we know now that the grow-bags really work well! That's thinking outside the box for ya.