Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

This ' N' that

Last Christmas I bought a beautiful red Amaryllis which sat on our kitchen table, showing off it's flowers for weeks on end. After it finished flowering I still gave it a little water until the leaves died back, then I let it rest for a while. When I returned from my vacation, I started watering and feeding the plant again, and now it is rewarding me by growing new leaves, and I am hoping for flowers too.

The orchid on the right, was going to be thrown in the trash by a friend. I offered to take it off her hands to see if I can get it to flower.I went out and bought some orchid food and have done some research on the care of orchids. With lots of TLC I think I can get this one to flower.

The poinsettia Was a Christmas present to myself. I lean towards buying plants which are a little different, so that is why I chose the poinsettia with the lovely variegated foliage.

6 comments:

Anna said...

It's great when you can keep some of these plants flowering from one year to the next. Hope that they all do well for you:)

Victoria Williams said...

Nice. I love "saving" plants.
I should mail my amaryllis to you, maybe you can get them to sprout! All they're doing is looking dead so far.

Darla said...

Good job!! Curious to see what happens with the orchid, an area I have not yet ventured..

Lona said...

I love the variegated poinsettia. The orchid I had last winter has been babied but is slowly dying one me. I have tried everything but just don't have the touch or the green thumb, LOL. I hope you get yours to growing and blooming.
Happy New Year Jennifer and I will be looking forward to your postings in 2010.
Lona

Peggy said...

Happy New Year to you and Yours. It will be interesting to see if TLC works on plants!

Rusty in Miami said...

Happy New Year, beautiful poinsettia