Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Sunday, September 20, 2009

A new look for the front entrance


It was past time for the Astilbes to be taken from the urns and planted in the shade perennial bed. So on my way home from work I stopped by my favorite nursery.

I wandered around and around the nursery, trying to decide what to buy to replace the Astilbes. I finally settled on a Barnes Wood Fern, Dryoptaris filix- 'Barnesil' and a couple of pansies for one urn, and a Sedge, Carex morrowii 'Evergold' in the other. As with most of my planters, I buy perennials which will go out into the flower beds when it comes time to change out the flowers and plants in the pots.
I rather like the contrast between the green leaves with bright yellow bands of the sedge, and the soft frilly look of the ferns with the brightly colored pansies in front.

2 comments:

Bonnie Story said...

I LOVE pansies!! They are very sweet and remind me of simpler days. I really like your strategy of starting perennials in the planters, enjoying them and then having them "graduate" into the ground! Annuals, while colorful and fun, just don't inspire me like perennials. When I get set up to start annuals from seed, I'm sure my mind will change, but to me seeing a plant year after year is a great relationship. I enjoy seeing your progress and vefore/after shots - good on ya! Chhers, Bonnie

Darla said...

Great combination here!!!