Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Friday, September 18, 2009

The last Hurrah!

The first day of autumn may begin on September 22nd, but some plants in my garden are saying "I think not"

Asters, Helianthus and a Salvia are still blooming and are making the bees happy.

I have Googled this Helianthus, and there are several species which look similar, but it really does not matter much to me which one it happens to be. If my memory serves me right, this Helianthus has been in this spot for three years and certainly is happy here, as it is now just over four feet tall and a mass of flowers.

Two lovely Asters draw bees to their vibrant colors.

I am very happy to have this volunteer Nicotania set up home in a pot with a young Hellebore. I have no idea where the seed came from, unless it has lain dormant in the pot, as I had a few of these plants in the garden a couple of years ago.
I am always pleasantly surprised to discover volunteer plants in my garden, unless of course they are weeds.

8 comments:

Darla said...

Nope, fall is not falling around you quite yet...Beautiful!

Peggy said...

Your plants are prolonging summer for you, they all look very healthy and will probably be around for a while yet.

Amy said...

Very pretty flowers! I love the helianthus...I wonder if that would grow in Austin??? Pretty colors in your garden. I enjoyed your gardening blog!

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

This summer is the best in last 4 or 5 years in our place. My garden also looks summery. I love your asters Jennifer! Need to plant more of them.

Urban Green said...

I love asters, but they are not found here very easily :(

Anonymous said...

I love plants that mock the calendar. Your Helianthus must be special because even I, who often is known to scorn the color yellow, love it. Your Asters are so sweet and pert. I love the tiny petals all in a row--several rows. I agree with you about volunteers. They're little bonus plants. Unless they're weeds. Familiarity breeds contempt.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I don't think I've heard of helanthus. I just looked up false sunflower to see if that's the botanical name for it, but it's not. Then, I looked up Helen's flower, and it is a different one, too. I'll have to see if those grow around here.

Yes, your flowers look like they are quite happy to have summer stick around a bit longer. Your asters are pretty, too.

Victoria Williams said...

I love volunteers also. They can create some great looking combos without any help from me.