Friday, when the weather was nice, I started removing the irrigation lines in my vegetable garden. You see, I had 1/4" soaker hose installed, but was not too happy with the way it delivered water to my raised beds, so when I was in the hardware store looking to see what else may work, I noticed 1/4" flexible polyethylene tubing with 1/2 GPH self cleaning drippers built in every 6". I had an 'aha' moment and thought to myself, "why not give this a try"
Of course the weather turned crummy on Saturday and Sunday, but there were short periods between showers when I went out and started installing the new tubing.
I already had the 1/4"main line from the 1/2 tubing which runs around the perimeter of the garden installed, so all I had to do was run a new 1/4" line along the top of the side of the raised bed and insert T fittings every 1' then cut eight lines which run across the bed, and install them. I have an old thermos which I fill with very hot water, take it out to the garden so I can dip the ends of the tubing in the hot water to soften them, making it an easy job to push in any of the fittings.
I ran the system for about 3/4 hour tonight and it seemed to be working as I wish it to. I still have to set up the timer so the watering will be done in the wee small hours of the morning. I like to get the watering done around 5am before the heat of the day. It remains to be seen if we are going to have much of a summer this year.