Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Brrrr! I am ready to welcome Spring

This morning we have frost coating the outdoors, and our furnace decided to quit. Fortunately all it took was a push of the reset button, and away it went. I hate being cold.
On cold days like this, my thoughts wander to the upcoming Spring, and what flowers I will grow this season. A few days ago I bought myself a small bouquet of flowers and nestled in amongst the carnations and mums was one lovely Gerbera. In the past, I have seen these lovely plants in the local garden center, but passed them by going instead for annuals I know will do well here. This year however, I think I will try my luck at growing gerberas, as the flowers are so pretty and last for quite a while in a vase.
Have any of you living here in the Pacific Northwest had any luck growing gerberas, and if so what hints do you have to pass on?

2 comments:

Gail Wilson said...

Now that is a question that I am looking forward to reading the answers to!
Gail

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I've never tried growing them, but think they are such pretty flowers.
The sun came out here and is nice as long as you're in a sunny spot. The shady areas still have frost.