Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Monday, July 12, 2010

CUTTING GARDEN, BUT I DON'T WANT TO CUT THEM

I have Gladioli planted in the center of two of the raised beds in my vegetable garden. The idea was that I could cut the flowers to enjoy them indoors, but they are so beautiful, I am hesitant to do so. This morning they are looking even more lovely, dripping with the fine drizzle coming down, and they are so tall. One of them is level with the top of the five foot high trellis which supports the cucumbers.
Within the rustic greenhouse kind of structure on the right, are my tomato plants, and there are ripe
Sungold tomatoes within. So my idea to create a little house to provide some extra warmth for the tomatoes, is working rather well, don't you think?

UPDATE , the watering system using the three interconnecting sprinklers, with five different pattern sprays, I installed, is working way better than I expected. I have it set on a timer to come on for five minutes every second day. The second day and five minutes duration watering, seems to be just right, to keep the area which is in the shade, on an incline and very quick to drain, at just the right dampness for optimum growth.
In the past, I had been hesitant to plant too much here before installing the new watering system, because I could not provide enough moisture on a regular basis, and I lost a few of my favorite plants. That is all changed and a visit to the garden center is on my list of things to do.
The other project I have started work on, is too create an outdoor living room.
Read about it HERE

10 comments:

cassie-b said...

I love seeing the flowers growing that I never cut them, no matter what my plans were.

Becca's Dirt said...

I hate to cut those beauties too but they do look so pretty in a vase on your table. I am using a sprinkler hooked to my hose. I drag it around from the front to the back nearly everyday. I have been watering my gardens for 45m-1hour at a time nearly everyday. When I dug down to put a couple in the ground this weekend only the firt inch and half was wet so I am watering more.

tina said...

Love love love your red glads. I only have the pink and one kind of orange. I've noticed the pink seem to be most prolific and when I think I buy red, I get pink. Too funny huh? You've encouraged me to set up a water system. It is something on the back burner for too many years now. A timer sounds the ticket too!

meemsnyc said...

We need to come up with a watering system too. Yours sound awesome!

Lona said...

Jennifer that is why I very seldom have bouquets in my house. I just hate to cut the flowers LOL!

Laura said...

Your projects are looking good! Smart idea w/the tomatoes. It's been a wet summer for sure!

I'd have a hard time cutting too, they look good!

Carrie said...

Ah my dear, is your veg patch in your garden???? I couldn't cut mine either if I could dander out and see them, but they are a good 20 mins walk away and cutting them and bringing them home from the lottie is like bringing some of the calm and beautiful productivity home with me instead. x

Ali Honey said...

I think it may be so hard to cut the flowers because the red looks just so wonderful beside all that green!

Ann Flowers said...

You have got a nice garden out there. I think a connection with plants means a connection with the nature itself.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I don't cut flowers often, either. Those sure are pretty! I'm glad your watering system is working well.

I have some of those soaker hoses I keep forgetting to figure out where to put. It's rained so much this summer, I haven't needed to water much.