Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Saturdays gardening

Once again my timing was right on. Yesterday was so warm outdoors, that I took advantage and planted more starts in the garden. As I was going about the business of planting, I noticed that the spinach, lettuce, yellow wax beans, and swiss chard seed planted 3/1/2010 and 3/4/2010 are up and doing well.
Today, Sunday, is cool, overcast with a good chance of rain in the forecast. I guess I will have to stay indoors and catch up on housework Sighhhh!

Swiss chard - bright lights and marigolds in front of the lettuce, which was planted last weekend.

Kale-Redbor, Chinese cabbage - "mei qing choi' and more marigolds.The marigolds I have dispersed throughout the three beds are, Bonanza yellow, Bonanza orange, and Bonanza bee. I am not sure if it has been proved, that the marigolds actually do keep destructive insects away, but I believe it won't hurt, and they do add color to the garden

9 comments:

RURAL said...

Don't you just think that it is so serendipitous when it rains after you plant seeds?

Since the water is not on in the community garden plots next to our condo, watering is a chore. Someone has misplaced the hose.

The peas I sprouted are up, and hopefully soon so will the onions. I love spring, and I love spring rain.

Jen

Grasshopper said...

You have nice marigolds, there KeeWee. I hope to see what they would look like in your next posts. Here in Central Florida, the extended winter embraced us with freezing temperatures which stretched to weeks, but finally Spring has sprung!

Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

It all looks great and ready to burst open with life. I love spring. Don't you? Your veggies will taste great.~~Dee

Aimee said...

Hi there! I came over from Q's corner. We are practically neighbors, so I'm curious to see how your garden is growing!

Darla said...

Looks beautiful..marigold scent is supposed to deter rabbits and rid the soil of nematodes.....so I've read..

Kris said...

Nice garden.
http://gardeningfactsandtips.blogspot.com/

Kris said...

Nice garden.
http://gardeningfactsandtips.blogspot.com/

Rusty in Miami said...

I also plant Marigolds in my vegetable garden, I have no evidence that it helps but it looks great.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm impressed with the progress of your veggie patch. I know one thing about marigolds, slugs love them. You wouldn't think they would with that distinctive scent but I've had them disappear over night. Weird, huh?