Kia hora te manno
Kia whakapapa paumamu te moana
Kia tere te Karohirohi

May the calm be widespread
May the sea glisten like the greenstone
And may the glimmer of summer dance across your pathways

Monday, February 23, 2009

Visitors to my garden

The chorus from the birds every day, heralds spring. Red wing Blackbirds, Robins, Flickers, Starlings, Sparrows, Juncos, and many, many, more are all singing their songs to attract a mate.

These two Flickers have taken time to visit one of the feeders I have outside my den window. They really are handsome birds, with their black, brown, cream and orange colors.

A female Red Wing Black bird waits patiently in a tree, for the flickers to leave the feeder, so she can have some birdseed. I will attempt to get a picture of the male Blackbird, showing off the bright orange feathers on his wings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keewee, really nice photos of the flicks- I have them in my yard and can never get a good shot of them up close. Happy Gardening!

dinzie said...

I wish we had those flickers over here :O) lovely looking birds.....

too many cats around here to have a bird feeder ...thogh i have thought about a feeder for the tuis up in the trees....

D